Guard and Reserve Education Benefit Checklist

State Tuition Assistance

Air and Army Guard and Reserve Guard members are eligible for state tuition assistance (National Guard Supplemental Grant), which covers 100% of tuition of a first bachelor’s degree.
  • It is recommended that you complete a FAFSA by 10 March each year and submit the DA Form 2171 by 1 August for fall semester and by 1 Dec. for the spring semester.
  • Apply for benefits:
    • Army Guard members: go to the Army Guard website and click on “apply for tuition assistance” to complete DA Form 2171. Army Guard members can contact the Education Services office at 317-964-7023, or email the office for assistance or questions.
    • Air Guard members: go to your base education office to complete the application for State Supplemental Grant. Air Guard deadlines for state tuition assistance are 1 June for fall semester and 1 Dec. for spring semester. Guard members who are using State Supplemental Grant tuition assistance must submit their form 2171 to the Financial Aid Office to receive their assistance.
    • If you are entitled to receive a “kicker” with your education benefits, include a copy of your contract with your 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) when submitted to your college’s certifying official.

Federal Tuition Assistance
  • Army Guard members are also eligible for Federal tuition assistance. Apply at and click apply for tuition assistance; complete DA Form 2171 by the first day of classes each semester. This is not a guaranteed fund, when the money is depleted you will not receive assistance. There is a limit of $4,500.00 per fiscal year (1 Oct.-30 Sept.).
  • Army Reserve members may apply for federal tuition assistance at WEBS (Web-Enabled Benefits System) and complete the DA Form 2171 using your AKO account.
  • Marine Reserve members must see the education NCO to complete an application for federal assistance.
  • All Guard and Reserve members must have a notice of basic eligibility (NOBE) initially completed by Sgt. Della Gordon (the state GI Bill manager), and submit it to your school with your 22-1990. Check your college to for details as to where to submit. If another NOBE is needed, it is available in your AKO account or at this site.
  • If you are a ROTC member, your stipend does not cover some school fees. Check with the controller's office to see if you have a debt you need to pay to avoid late charges.